Apply for a Grant
The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation receives more than 1,000 applications each year. Although we would like to help all who apply, our resources are limited and the process is very competitive. Music programs serving low-income communities, programs with little or no budget for musical instruments and programs that reflect strong teacher and student retention are considered before all others. We encourage you to seek funding from several sources in your community.
How to apply
The grant cycle is currently closed and will re-open January 2016.
The Michael Kamen Grant Guidelines:
- Public, private and charter schools may apply, however, schools must serve a population of at least 65% that participate in the Federal Free/Reduced Lunch Program. Private schools that do not participate in the Federal Free/Reduced Lunch Program must serve a minimum of 65% of students that attend at no cost due to low income status.
- Schools must have an established instrumental music program (i.e. concert band, marching band, jazz band and/or orchestra) that has been offered during the regular school day for a minimum of three consecutive years. If your school offers Orff/classroom music only, it is NOT eligible to apply. If your school’s instrumental music program takes place before/after school and/or during lunch, it is NOT eligible to apply.
- Schools must have an instrumental music teacher who has completed at least two consecutive years of teaching instrumental music at the applying school.
- Schools must have an existing inventory of instruments.
- Schools must have a dedicated instrumental music room with adequate and secure storage for musical instruments.
- Schools must apply separately (please provide information for the applying school only, do not include information for other schools within the district even if the music teacher teaches at more than one school).
- Teachers that teach at more than one school within the school district can only apply for one school per grant cycle.
- Full or partial requests may be awarded consisting of new and/or refurbished instruments.
- Previously awarded schools must wait five years before reapplying.
Our program funds the acquisition of new instruments. We DO NOT give cash grants. Other exclusions are:
- Programs outside the United States
- Teacher salaries or music lessons
- Programs outside of our guidelines
- Events, concerts, festivals
- Summer camps